02 January 2012

Favorites of 2011

Since I've obviously failed miserably in my attempt to write a review that's worth being seen by anyone other than my cat (I do have a couple of drafts, they're just ... well, not good), I decided to turn my attention to my favorite things about 2011 - in a stream of consciousness sort of way.  So, without further ado ... drumroll, please ...

Favorite series I discovered:

1. SHADE series by Jeri Smith-Ready.

I'm a big fan of Rachel Vincent and her books and follow her on Twitter.  This past summer there was a little thing called the YA Crush Tourney in which Tod (from Rachel's Soul Screamers series) was up against Zach (from Jeri's SHADE series).  After watching the "battle" on Twitter between these two fictional boys and their fans, and reading some of the teaser incentives that Jeri posted during the match I had to check out Zach for myself.

I was prepared to like Zach from what I read about him in the YA Crush Tourney (Scottish accent, gorgeous, etc.) and I did, er, do.  What I wasn't prepared for was Logan Keeley.  Logan made his way into my heart like very few fictional characters do.  In fact, the last fictional boy to affect me like this?  Adam Eddington from Madeleine L'Engle's The Arm of the Starfish.  I've been in love with him since I was oh, I don't know, 12 or 13 years old maybe?  I don't remember how old I was the first time I read the book.  Suffice to say, it's been a long, long time.  (Jeri assures me that Zach will have my heart too by the end of SHINE and I believe her.)

But I didn't just fall in love with Logan.  I fell in love with Aura and Zach as well (though not quite to the extent that I did with Logan).  Because I'm such a fast reader not many books (and fewer characters) stick with me after I've finished them because I need to make room in my head for new books and characters.  Not so with Jeri's books and characters.  Aura and Zach and Logan pop into my head still (months later) when a song I'm listening to reminds me of them.  Which brings me to my next favorite series because it takes place in a radio station and music is very important to the series.

2.  WVMP series by Jeri Smith-Ready.

I loved SHADE and SHIFT so much that I went looking for other books of Jeri's that I could read and found her adult vampire series.  I plowed my way through all three books in this series too.  Jeri's currently writing the fourth and final book in the series and I can't wait to see what happens.  She's promised us a happy ending for Shane and Ciara though! ;)

3.  October Daye series by Seanan McGuire

I'd seen these books and heard about this series but it wasn't until I went to Seattle in October that I bought the first book and that was mostly because I wanted to buy a book at the famous Elliott Bay Book Company.  I am not sorry that I picked Rosemary and Rue as the one I bought.  Upon finishing I immediately went out and bought the next two.  And before I was even finished with those I bought the next two.  I've not read One Salt Sea yet because it's the last book that's published and I kind of want to save it and savor it.  I don't know how long that will last.

4. KGI series by Maya Banks

On the surface these books look like your typical romance novels, just another addition to the myriad books out there starring special ops alpha males who have to rescue their women.  They're better than that most of the ones out there in that they have a plot and and are written well.  Yes, they're still romance books with all that entails, but they're also full of mystery and suspense.  The Kelly brothers are definitely alpha males and will do anything and everything to protect those that they love, but they also aren't afraid to show affection and love.

Favorite book:

Room by Emma Donoghue

Hands down the best general fiction book I read all year.  A difficult subject matter told through the eyes of an innocent five year old.

Favorite experience:

Seattle.

I had the opportunity to go to Seattle for a weekend - the same weekend that the Smart Chicks Kick It tour was going to be there (with a LOT of my favorite authors) AND the same weekend as the Northwest Tea Festival.  Books and tea and me in a place I've wanted to visit for a while?  YES!  I had an incredible (though much-too-short time) in Seattle.  Not only did I get to listen to some of my favorite authors talk about writing, but I discovered new favorite teas.  It was my first "real" vacation by myself and I discovered something: I liked being on vacation by myself.  Don't get me wrong, I love going on vacation with other people too, but there was something incredibly freeing about being on my own.  I want to go back.

Favorite music:

1.  Frightened Rabbit

I learned about Frightened Rabbit thanks to Jeri Smith-Ready and fell in love with them immediately.  I don't know what it is about their music, but their album "The Winter of Mixed Drinks" has gotten me through some rough times just in the past two months that I've had it.  I love the whole album - every single, solitary song on it.  And the free acoustic download from their website?  Absolutely brilliant.  Three heart-wrenching, beautiful and raw songs that will kill you.  But in a good way.  Mostly.

2.  The Twilight Sad

From following Frightened Rabbit on Twitter I discovered The Twilight Sad and ... yes, you guessed it, fell in love with them as well.  So much so that I'm (semi-)seriously considering trying to make a trip back to Seattle to see them in March.  They'll also be in Chicago, but as I'm tired of Chicago and not tired of Seattle I'd rather go see them in Seattle.  This will probably not happen, but a girl can dream, right?  They also have a free acoustic download on their website and, well, the raw energy that James Graham puts into singing those songs makes me shiver.


So there you have it.  Some of my favorites from 2011.


No comments: