08 December 2011

Reading and goals

I made a goal on Goodreads to read 125 books in 2011.  I'm currently four books away from meeting my goal.  This is due, in part, to the fact that I've been reading almost a book a day for the past couple of weeks.  I don't know what's come over me ... I've always been a prolific reader but this is a LOT of reading even for me.

So with all of the books read, I've been thinking that maybe I should start trying my hand at writing reviews.  I do write some reviews on Goodreads, but I don't normally put much thought into them so they're not that great.  Only problem with that is that I usually read so fast that I sometimes have trouble retaining what it is that I've read.  So I can say things like "I loved this book. You should definitely read it."  But when people ask me why I liked it, or why I think they should read it, I can't put those reasons into words.  (The caveat to that is if I absolutely positively LOVED the book so much that I can't stop gushing about it, I'll be able to tell you all the reasons I liked the book and why everyone should read it.)

But maybe, just maybe, if I make a goal to review some of the books that I read - and I mean REALLY review them - on my blog maybe that will force me to slow down and retain what I'm reading.  Even if no one but me reads the reviews that's ok.  It's all about making me a better reader and if I'm a better reader then that might just translate into being a better writer.  So it's a win-win all around, right?  Right.

With that said, I think I will try my hand at a "real" review when I finish the book I'm currently reading.

No comments: