11 September 2008

Google is a wonderful thing!

After years of not remembering names of books that I've read, or the authors who wrote them, I finally started to keep track a few years ago. This list has come in handy on more than one occasion; I just wish that I'd started it earlier ... like, for instance, when I was in elementary school.

Every so often I remember a book I read about some kids and the Oregon Trail, but for the life of me I can't remember the name - or even a partial name - and if I can't remember the title, there's no chance I'd remember the author. I probably read this book when I was in 3rd or 4th grade and seeing as how I have little to no recollection of those years (other than Mrs. Schue putting me in the Remedial Reading class in 3rd grade - not because I couldn't read, but because I didn't retain anything that I read. I was mortified, however, that I was in Remedial Reading, and while her efforts to get me to slow down helped a little, I still - to this day - can't remember enough specific details to tell someone why I enjoyed the book and why they should read it themselves ... but I digress), much less the books I read way back then, I've always thought that this book I loved so much would remain a mystery.

Tonight when this book popped into my head again (probably because the book I'm currently reading takes place in Oregon) I decided that I would try a Google search for "children's book about the Oregon Trail" ... and lo and behold, I think I actually found it! Of course it's out of print so finding it may be somewhat difficult, but I can probably find a used copy on abebooks.com or alibris.com if my library doesn't have it. If the book I found is actually the book, then I'm gonna be a very happy camper.

So, yeah, Google is a wonderful thing.

Also? I just discovered that I have the NHL Network so I've spent the evening watching hockey. :)

2 comments:

Angel K said...

So, who wrote the Oregon Trail book??
and I still haven't read Breaking Dawn. You just can't curl up in bed with it... Still sticking with the 2008 Nano title that you came up with in Dec. 07? :)

Judy said...

A.Rutgers Van Der Loeff. Yes, too big to curl up with. It's still a possibility ... but I still don't have a plot.