27 October 2007

possible opening lines

I don't have any idea who my characters are, nor do I have a plot, so I was browsing the nano forums looking for ideas. I wrote down some of my favorites from the adopt-an-opening-line forum. Unfortunately I can't take credit for any of these.

I honestly didn't think it would work, but as my life is a cosmic joke anyway, it stands to reason that this would be the perfect punch line.

Some suicides write a note to leave behind; I'm writing a novel.

She kept a notebook on her person at all times, just in case someone would say something interesting - sadly, it hadn't happened yet.

They say the pen is mightier than the sword, but you'd be hard pressed to win a dual with one.

'It's not me, it's you' didn't even begin to sum it up.

The world was her oyster; she hated oysters.

Some things aren't worth dying for. This was one of them.

And my personal favorite because it's so Douglas Adams-like: Some believe the world will end with a bang; others believe it will end with a whimper. I've seen it, and it ends with something that sounds alarmingly like a duck being stepped on.

Originally posted in [info]writing_is_fun on LJ

No comments: